Friday, February 12, 2010

How do I get the smell of Skunk out of my house? It sprayed in my crawl space!!?

The whole house smells of skunk. My clothes smell, everything smells. How do I get rid of it?How do I get the smell of Skunk out of my house? It sprayed in my crawl space!!?
honestly, I really don't think that there is much you can do. burn a lot of candles. Vinigar wash whatever you can. I know that if for instance, you dog or cat gets sprayed with skunk... you're supposed to give them a tomato bath because the acid in the tomato kills the stink. I'm sorry to hear about your house. I think you're just going to have to wait it out. *AmandaHow do I get the smell of Skunk out of my house? It sprayed in my crawl space!!?
I feel your pain . . . thank goodness we really don't have skunks here in Alaska, but i cleaned my dogs a lot growing up in WI.





I'd be tempted to try the link I found:





http://www.maranna.org/





Good Luck.
Tomato juice sorta neutralizes the spray on dogs.


Suppose it would work on other surfaces IF you can find/get to them...





Watch out, especially if the skunk is aggressive,


as skunks have a good possibility of being rabies carriers.


Other than the animal control folks doing their job,


dispensing of lead poisoning might be your best bet.
Call animal control to remove the little guy... when we lived on our farm my dh decided to shoot one in the barn... yea, not such a good idea.. you could smell our house for miles!





For the smell ON things try this:


Hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and a couple drops of DAWN or orange oil.


For the smell in the air: Oust spray will help...


but skunk smell just has to dissipate on its own... Also.. did you know their droppings smell? so you may need to get down and have that cleaned up as well..


sorry! (Yuck!!)
Buy new clothes and move !


I don't think there is a good answer for that one, but plenty of fresh air, baking soda, scent sprays, scented candles may help. Be sure to permanently remove the skunk first.
Before you worry about the smell, I would worry about the skunk. I would make sure that the skunk is out of the crawl space and then I would make sure to place something over the opening so the skunk or any other critters can't get back in. Then I would go to the Mythbusters site and see if you can locate what they used to remove skunk smell! It worked better than store bought products and tomato juice! It was made with simple products like baking soda and some other stuff...and it would more than likely be able to be sprayed on the clothing and other fabrics to remove the smell. Good luck I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment