Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How is it possible that I was almost attacked by a skunk in downtown Vancouver?

I was walking along the beach late at night, downtown, and all of a sudden this skunk comes up, stops, glares at me, raises it's stiff tail and flares it. I got the feeling that it was getting defensive so I started walking again.





What I don't get is how the hell is this possible? Skunks aren't indigenous to downtown cities are they?How is it possible that I was almost attacked by a skunk in downtown Vancouver?
Nearly every beach in Vancouver has forest bordering it, and it is possible to encounter raccoons, skunks, or even bears in Vancouver proper, not just the suburbs.How is it possible that I was almost attacked by a skunk in downtown Vancouver?
There are skunks, raccoons and coyotes in Vancouver city. They were certainly indigenous to the area before the city was built, and they never really went away. As long as they find food and shelter and live long enough to reproduce, they'll probably always be there. I've seen a coyote trotting through the PNE grounds in the early morning. I grew up in downtown Toronto and there are raccoons and skunks there too. Skunks don't physically attack as a rule, but they'll certainly spray if they feel threatened and you're close enough. Just give a skunk lots of room if you encounter one.
Loss of their natural habitat because of overdevelopment has caused many wild animals to adapt to city life. Racoons are commonly seen in the city as well.
Was it on Hastings street ? If so you asked for it. Don't go there
A raccoon nailed my cat a few years ago $ 500.00 vet charges

No comments:

Post a Comment