Friday, February 12, 2010

A question for a vetrinarian, can I give ampicillan to a skunk?

I don't know specifically about skunks because I never treated one with an antibiotic, but ampicillin is not usually harmful to ferrets, a mustelid that I do know about. Individual allergic reactions are not uncommon with penicillin-type antibiotics--and that includes your own exposure. You do want to be sure your problem is diagnosed appropriately, and there are better medications available. (In short, I'm recommending that you consult your veterinarian first!) Usual dose is 5-30 mg per kg of body weight, given twice daily. That's 2-13 mg per lb. More is not better. Good luck. Skunks are beautiful and fascinating pets, and if it weren't for the rabies issue, more people would probably enjoy them.A question for a vetrinarian, can I give ampicillan to a skunk?
yes it will hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment