Sunday, February 7, 2010

I have a skunk coming in my backyard every night. How do I get rid of this thing?

My yard is fenced in, and it comes around even if my family and I are back there. I have two kids and there very loud and it will come right next to us like it is tame or something. I walked out my backdoor and it was right by my steps and it didn't even move as i came out.I have a skunk coming in my backyard every night. How do I get rid of this thing?
If a skunk wants to come in your yard, it will. It'll dig under your fence if there's no other way. They seem to have specific routes they take over and over, night after night. Also, it's not that it's tame; skunks can only see about 4 or 5 feet in front of them, but they CAN hear you very well. If frightened or threatened, you'll get a 'warning' tail raise before, and you'll have about 15 seconds to get the heck out of there before they spray!





I have a wooden fence with so many holes dug out by skunks and groundhogs over the years, it's not funny. Even plugging up the hole with a gigantic rock will not deter them. They'll just dig more until the rock falls away.





But greydoc6 is right, it's after the grubs and bugs in your lawn. Treat that problem, and eventually the skunk will take you off his route.I have a skunk coming in my backyard every night. How do I get rid of this thing?
I was composting fruit among other foods. I read that skunks particularly like fruit. I rarely see one since stopping the source of fruit and other foods. Be wary of a ';friendly'; skunk. Be aware that it is possible that it could have rabies. An animal control service can trap, observe and relocate animals. I had a huge snapping turtle moved from our front yard ---- too many children around. Cost was high but not doing it was higher.
Hi


This answer is from the Idaho Fish and Game Department and it is no joke.





The reason the skunk comes into your yard is for food.





So,


Put some food in your neighbors yard...the skunk will go there.





It Works Really,


S1lent
Skunks often dig for grubs and worms in the sod. Putting grub killer on the lawn is not very green, but in a situation like this, I think the end justifies the means.

No comments:

Post a Comment